Makes 12 buns:
170 ml milk
1 tsp ground turmeric
14 g dry yeast
50 g coconut blossom sugar
100 g unsalted butter
540 g spelt flour
1 tsp salt
35 g butter, melted
400 g coconut blossom sugar
30 g cacao powder1 tbsp cinnamon
2 tbsp chai spices
- In a small pot, bring the milk to a simmer.
- Transfer to a big bowl and add turmeric and yeast.
- Add sugar, soft butter, eggs, flour, and salt. Mix the ingredients until combined and dough forms.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm place at room temperature for 45 minutes.
- While the dough rises, combine sugar, cinnamon, cacao and chai spices in a small bowl.
- Spray a muffin tin with oil.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll dough out into a rectangle.
- Brush the melted butter over the entire surface of the dough.
- Sprinkle on the spiced sugar mixture.
- Roll up the dough lenghtwise.
- Cut log into twelve pieces.
- Set each piece into its individual muffin cup (cut side up).
- Cover lightly with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place at room temperature for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Remove plastic wrap from muffin tin and place into the oven.
- Baked for 20 minutes, until buns are deep golden brown on top.
- Remove from oven and transfer buns from muffin tin to cooling rack to prevent sticking.
Adapted from the recipe for the saffron & cardamom cinnamon buns from Now, Forager