500 g tomato sauce
3 garlic cloves
salt and pepper
1 bay leaf
2 tbsp small capers
3 fresh tomatoes
4 mackerel fillets (skin on)
- Peel, halve and thinly slice the onion.
- Peel and crush the garlic
- Heat a couple of tablespoons of oil in a medium pan over a medium-low heat, add the onion and garlic, cover and cook for 5-10 minutes until softened and very lightly coloured, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomato sauce, some salt and pepper and the bay leaf, bring to the boil and then simmer over a low heat for 5 minutes.
- Then stir capers into the sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C.
- Put the tomato sauce in a large roasting dish. Nestle the mackerel fillets in the sauce, cut the tomatoes in half and place them in the dish. Season with pepper and salt.
- Place the dish in the oven and roast for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through.
Serve with rocket salad and grilled pine nuts.