300 g red beets
2 cloves of garlic
130 g greek yoghurt
1 tbsp olive oil
salt & pepper
roasted pine nuts
Grilled sweet potato:
2 large sweet potatoes, washed and sliced lengthways into thin slices
olive oil, for brushing
For the dressing:
2 smoked garlic cloves, finely chopped (see *)
handful of freshly chopped mint leaves
1 red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
For the beetroot:
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Wash the beets and pack in aluminium foil. Sprinkle some olive oil on top and roast in the oven for about 1 hour or until a knife slides easily in the center.
- Once they are cooled, cut each one into pieces.
- Place the beets, garlic and yoghurt in a food processor or blender and blend to a smooth paste. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and stir in the olive oil, pepper and salt. Taste and add more if you like.
- Put the nuts in a dry pan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until golden.
- Peel the avocado and remove the pit. Cut in slices and sprinkle some lemon juice on top to prevent it from turning brown. Season with pepper and salt.
- Place the pureed beet on a plate, top with avocado, pine nuts and nigella seeds. Finish with extra pepper.
For the sweet potato:
*wrap the garlic cloves in foil and bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 30 minutes. This will mellow the flavour.
- Preheat a griddle pan over a high heat.
- Brush the sweet potato slices with oil to coat them all over and place straight into the pan (you may need to do this in batches).
- Griddle them for 3 minutes on each side until cooked, turning once.
- Using tongs, transfer the slices from the pan to a large platter and season with salt.
- In a small bowl, mix together all the dressing ingredients until completely combined. Serve with the potatoes.