For the eggplant crust:
2 to 3 big eggplants – cut lenghtwise as thin as possible
For the filling:
2 to 3 sweet potatoes
200 g feta
350 g passata
3 cloves of garlic
a bundle of fresh basil
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 egg , beaten
- Sprinkle the sliced eggplant with salt and place them on paper towels. Salting helps draw out the extra water, so the baked eggplant will turn out less watery and mushy.
- Wait for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Pat the eggplant slices with paper towels to absorb the excess moisture.
- Drizzle the eggplant with olive.
- Place on grill, and cook until browned. Flip eggplant slices, and cook until browned on bottom.
- Take them out of the pan and put aside.
- After grilling the eggplant it is time to make the crust: use a tart pan with removable bottom, lightly brushed inside with olive oil. Place eggplant slices all around the pan and bottom, you want the rounded part of the eggplant to form the edge. (as on this picture)
- Bring a medium sized pot of water to a boil. Add the sweet potatoes and boil for 10 minutes, or until they can be pierced with a fork. Drain and put them in the blender or mash with a potato masher together with the garlic and spices.
- In a big bowl, stir in the passata and crumbled feta cheese.
- Carefully, pour the mixture on the eggplant crust.
- Spread the beaten egg on the top.
- Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes on 180°C.